Horse and Rider Divisions
Your submitted trail miles place you on the leaderboards of Top Trail Rider and Top Trail Horse in one of three divisions. At the time of joining Top Trail, each member self determines their division based on anticipated or previous annual mileage total — If you’re transferring from Top Trail on the Open Trail website, consider your mileage from 2018 and select the proper division based on that information. If you are brand new to Top Trail, select the Pleasure division to start. At the conclusion of each challenge period, there will be one winner in each division. The divisions are as follows:
Divisions based on anticipated or previous # of annual miles
- Competitor: Over 1001 miles
- Explorer: 501 to 1000 miles
- Pleasure: 0 to 500 miles
Your Top Trail Horse and Rider division may be re-set each quarter so it’s possible to be rated for a different division from quarter to quarter, depending on how many miles have been ridden, recorded, and uploaded in the previous quarter. You will not be able to re-set your Division after your initial enrollment. If your Division needs to be re-set, it will be done by Top Trail personnel.
Important: Top Trail’s official position on the use of equines for Top Trail is that they only be ridden according to their level of fitness. In other words, don’t over-ride or put the health & soundness of your equine partner in jeopardy under any circumstances to win a challenge or meet a riding goal. Always put your equine first!
For more information regarding Top Trail Divisions, read our FAQs.
Top Trail Rider Challenge periods are as follows:
- January through March (1Q)
- April through June (2Q)
- July through September (3Q)
- October through December (4Q)
Top Trail Rider Challenges time begins the first day of the each quarter beginning 12:00 am CST and ends the last day of each at 11:59 pm CST.
Top Trail Horse Challenge periods are monthly.
Top Trail Horse Challenges time begins the first day of the each month beginning 12:00 am CST and ends the last day of each month at 11:59 pm CST.
General Challenge Rules
- Uploaded tracks (.GPX files) must be actual trails ridden, recorded, and must be uploaded to your Top Trail account within 72 hours of the ride. This rule is for all challenges and competitions on this website unless noted otherwise so all participants have a good idea where they stand in the rankings as close to real time as possible.
- Uploaded trails must be at least one mile in length and ridden outside an arena.
- Equine must be ridden or pulling a cart, not ponied.
- Only one trail per equine/rider. Duplicate trails are not allowed and will be rejected during the upload process.NOTE: if your track has an error, email the .GPX file to email@example.com and we will attempt to repair it for you then you will be able to upload the corrected trail to your account manually.
At the conclusion of each challenge period, the Rider/Horse in each division with the most verified miles will be announced as winners on Top Trail’s Instagram and Facebook social media channels.
Winner Award Redemption
- All winners will have 30 days from the date of notification (via email) to redeem any earned awards. Sponsor donated awards are non- transferable.
- All winners are limited to a single award donated by sponsor partners each calendar year. The Top Trail Horse/Rider with the most verified miles each month/quarter in each division will be the “official” winner. In the event the “official” winner has already received a sponsor partner donated award in the current calendar year, the donated award will be given to the 2nd place horse/rider in the same division if that 2nd place horse/rider is within 20 miles of the leader. This rule does not impact Top Trail Rider/Top Trail Horse of the Year. Exception: there is no limit to the number of Top Trail metal plaques that can be won during a calendar year.
- Winners will be notified via email. We may request a photo and caption to be used for promotional purposes as winners are announced on social media channels such as Facebook and Instagram. We respect your privacy so if you do not wish to be named please let us know!